Monday 27 January 2014

Sleepwalking mum broke BACK and NECK in life-threatening fall - and only woke up in the ambulance !

Morag Fisher, 40, who only woke up in the ambulance, also broke both wrists, her jaw, nose, eye socket and cheek bones
A sleepwalking mum broke her back and neck when she plunged down the stairs while staying at a friend’s house.
Morag Fisher, 40, was fast asleep when she suffered the horrific injuries in the bizarre accident.
She also broke both wrists, her jaw, nose, eye socket and cheek bones after tumbling down the staircase.
The mum-of-one, who has a history of sleepwalking, was found in a pool of blood with life-threatening injuries.
Morag was staying with pal Carl Muggleton in Long Eaton, Derbys, when she plummeted down the stairs last November.
She stayed fast asleep throughout the entire incident and only came around when paramedics woke her up in the ambulance.
The customer services assistant spent 10 days in a major trauma unit - but is now hoping to return to work in two months.
Morag, from Witham-St-Hugh’s, Lincs, said: “When they found me I was bleeding a lot. My friend, who used to be a nurse, thought I was dead.
“It was a week before I looked at myself in the mirror because my face was such a mess. I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.
“Now, when I do look at myself I feel lucky to be alive and even luckier to be walking. It’s a miracle I didn’t die.
“I have sleepwalked before but usually I just wander around and then go back to bed, but because I was at a friend’s house it was unfamiliar and I fell.”
Recalling the accident, pal Carl, 39, said: “I woke up to an almighty crash and jumped out of bed and saw her lying at the bottom of the stairs in a pool of blood.
“I knew that she did sleepwalk but never expected anything like this.
“I have a very sharp set of stairs and there is not a lot of room at the bottom so she is lucky to be with us today.”
Morag, who has a six-year-old daughter Olivia, has now installed baby gates at her home to stop it happening again.
Rohan Revell, from the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham, said: “When she came in she looked like she had gone 10 rounds with someone.”
Last year scientific studies revealed around 10 million people in Britain suffer from sleepwalking.